Select Page

The 1897 Fire Insurance Maps of Limerick

The 1897 Fire Insurance Maps of Limerick

fire mapsThe Goad fire insurance plans are unique primary source materials capturing what is, in many cases, otherwise undocumented information about buildings, land use and urban design.

The 1897 plan of Limerick was originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape the city at the time.

The British Library has scanned these maps and made them available in a zoomable format. Flash is required to view these maps. The following are links to the Limerick section of this collection.

The plans for Limerick include the following fire insurance maps:

The Map Index gives a key to the detailed maps. This gives an overview of the areas covered, this area includes the some of the Irish Town Area, the Georgian Area, a small section of the North Strand. The English Town area of the city is not covered in these maps.

Plan 2 : This covers the area from Bank Place to Denmark Street. From Arthur’s Quay to Michael Street.

Plan 3: This is the largest map, it covers an area from John’s Street to Sexton Street. From Denmark Street at St Michael’s Church to Cathedral Place.

Plan 4: This covers the area from Honan’s Quay to Shannon Street. From Harvey’s Quay to George (O’Connell) Street.

Plan 5: This covers the area from Denmark Street to Roches Street. From George (O’Connell) Street to High Street/Roches Row.

Plan 6: This covers from Shannon Street to Mallow Street. From Bishop’s Quay to George (O’Connell) Street.

Plan 7.1: This covers from Roches Street to Upper Glentworth Street. From George (O’Connell) Street to Catherine Street.

Plan 7.2: This covers from a section of William Street to Lady’s Lane. From Catherine Street to Wickham Street.

Plan 8.1: This covers the Condensed Milk Factory at Lansdowne.

Plan 8.2: This covers Lower Hartstonge Street to Lower Mallow Street. From Mount Kenneth Quay to Henry Street.

Plan 8.3: This covers Shaw’s Bacon Factory at Mulgrave Street.

 

 

 

About The Author

Sharon Slater

Sharon Slater is the owner and operator of the Limerick’s Life website. She has been researching and collecting information regarding Limerick history and genealogies since her early teens. She obtained a Masters degree in Local History at the University of Limerick.

Leave a Reply

About Limerick’s Life

This website is a personal project of Sharon Slater, born from a passion for Limerick and it's history. She maintains, updates and contributes to it independently and voluntarily. If you'd like to donate to keep Limerick's history online, please know that all donations will go directly into the costs of hosting the website and the time and travel to research and write the articles found on the site.


Recent Tweets

Limerick’s Life Awards

awards

Sharon Slater Publications

books