The Jesuits Church – Roman Catholic
The Jesuits Church or Sacred Heart Church located and was completed in 1868 and opened for public worship on January 27th 1869. The architect was William Corbett and the church is in the parish of St Joseph’s. According to some reports, it was originally intended to be dedicated to St. Aloysius but when it was formally dedicated in 1869 it was called the ‘Church of the Sacred Heart’.
The façade of the church is Classical/Grecian in design and was renovated in 1900. There are no aisles in the church but the nave had two rows of pews. The nave was extended in 1919.
The high altar was designed by William Corbett and is made from 22 types of precious marble. William Corbett was the Limerick City Architect and was integral in the designed Mount Saint Lawrence Cemetery where he was later buried.
The Jesuits closed the doors on this building in 2006 and the site was later sold to a private investor. In 2012 the church once again returned into the hands of a religious order.