jewish prayer house

Plaque on the Jewish Prayer House.

Jewish Prayer House

Jewish Prayer House

jewish

Overview of the Jewish Cemetery

In 1902, the Lithuanian Jewish community purchased the land for this little cemetery.  Over the years, the community dwindled in size. The cemetery fell into disrepair in 1990 it was repaired as part of a publicly funded civic project. The cemetery is now maintained by Limerick Civic Trust and the Limerick City Council as a small public green space. You can read Des Ryan’s history of Jewish Limerick from 1790 – 1903 here.

There are 12 headstones including two to ‘Unknown  Jewish Souls’, two in Hebrew. Those recorded in English included:

In Loving Memory of Louis Fine born 1921 – died 1996. Erected by his loving family

In Memory of Zlato Maissel died 5th Nieson 5666 (31 March 1906) age 65

Stuart Clein (Solomon Sefton) 17-8-1931 to 5-2-2012. Dearly loved husband father & grandfather

Maurice L Morrison, died Feby 23 1930. 5690. Deeply mourned by his wife and children.

In loving memory of our dear father Samuel Sochat who died 4 March 1917 5677 aged 70 years mourned by his broken hearted children. Gone but not forgotten may his dear soul rest in peace.

Dr. Dan Levy Felix (Filo) Loya 1935-2001. Retired senior lecturer University of Limerick beloved brother and uncle (Haddod)

Asher Coen died 22 May 5674 1914 aged 57

In loving memory of our father 1887 Simon Gewurtz 1944 from Bratislava. Daughters Shosana – Ella

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

John Chauncey Olcott play - Old Limerick Town
Who was Peter Woulfe - The Last Alchemist