Select Page

Mathew Bridge – A link to the new city

Mathew Bridge – A link to the new city
mathew bridge

Looking from Bank Place to the Potato Market

Prior to the modern structure of Mathew Bridge, there was a previous bridge on this site known simply as New Bridge, which was built when the West Watergate was demolished in 1761. Mathew Bridge was completed in July 1846 and the contractor was John Duggan.

This bridge connected the old English town with the Newtownpery.

It was named after Fr. Theobald Mathew a friar who launched a national temperance movement. In 1846 it is said that he had obtained 180,000 disciple in Limerick at the time the population of Limerick city and county was about 250,000.

There is a benchmark in the centre of Mathew Bridge marking its position on the ordnance survey map of the nineteenth century.

mathew bridge

Mathew Bridge, C.1900. The Lawrence Collection

 

Other bridges of Limerick City

About The Author

Sharon Slater

Sharon Slater is the owner and operator of the Limerick's Life website. She has been researching and collecting information regarding Limerick history and genealogies since her early teens. She obtained a Masters degree in Local History at the University of Limerick.

About Limerick’s Life

This website is a personal project of Sharon Slater, born from a passion for Limerick and it's history. She maintains, updates and contributes to it independently and voluntarily. If you'd like to donate to keep Limerick's history online, please know that all donations will go directly into the costs of hosting the website and the time and travel to research and write the articles found on the site.


Recent Tweets

Limerick’s Life Awards

awards

Sharon Slater Publications

books