The first school in the parish was in a room at the back of the church, then came a joint boys and girls school in 1916 (the first stone was laid in 1915, the school was erected by local funds and built with local labour). Finally in 1966 due to expanding numbers in the parish the boys walked again, this time across the road to their new school, while the girls remained in the older school.
Below is a video from the very windy morning of the children and teachers leaving St Patrick’s Church on their way to St Patrick’s schools. Margaret Mayburns, the grandaunt of Sinead Clancy a teacher in the the Girl’s School, was one of the students who made the same walk one hundred years ago.
Later that same day both schools received their Irish Flag as part of the National Easter 1916 Commemorations.