Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a link to the street on the 1911 census has been added to the street name.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
Cabbage Market: This is located in the Johnsgate area of the city was used as a vegetable market for many years.
Caherdavin: Located to the north of the city, it became extensively developed in the 1960s.
Caledonian Place: (Square). This is located in the Prospect area of the city and is named after Sir Peter Tait, a native Scot and Caledonia was the old name for Scotland. He was Mayor of Limerick from 1866 to 1868.
Canon Breen Park: named after Michael Canon Breen, P.P., V.F., Parish Priest of St. Munchin’s Parish, and former President of St. Munchin’s Diocesan College, who died in 1979. It was officially opened in 1981 by the then Mayor, Councillor Clem Casey.
Canters Range: (Row), Located just off John’s Square, this row of houses was named after William Canter, who was a property owner in the area.
Carew Park: was named after John Carew who was Mayor of Limerick in 1960.
Carroll’s Row: A lane way off Barrington Street, probably named after a family who resided in this street. Photograph of Carroll’s Row
Casement Avenue: named after Roger Casement (1864-1916) an Irish Patriot who was found guilty by the English of High Treason and was hanged in Pentonville Prison.
Cash’s Lane: (now Cashel’s Lane) The reason for this name is not apparent, but as it was part of the New Road laid around 1760, the name probably has local connections.
Cassidy Lane: This was located in the John’s Gate area of the city.
Castle View Avenue: Located behind St Munchin’s R.C. Church, viewing the Castle
Castletroy: As the name suggests this was the location of Troy’s Castle.
Cathal Brugha Road: was named after Cathal Brugha (1874-1922) who was Minister of Defence in the Provisional Government and who was shot during the Civil War.
Cathedral Place: (formerly Nicholas Street and Rampers Road) It was subsequently but briefly known as Chapel Street and the reason for the present naming of the street is obvious from its proximity to St. John’s Cathedral.
Catherine Street, (part 2), (part 3), Catherine Place:These streets are reputed to be named after Catherine Unthank, a member of a prominent Limerick Pery family. Photographs of Catherine Street: (view two) In 1951 it was proposed by Clann na Poblachta to rename Catherine Street to Colbert Street, this did not pass.
The Causeway: (now Longpavement Road). A causeway is “a raised road across low or wet ground” up to the beginning of the 17th Century, a boat was necessary to travel from Limerick to Parteen. The City of Limerick in 1635 constructed this road or causeway, together with a bridge. This small bridge still spans the Avondoun river, just beyond the city boundary at Longpavement, and is known as Quinpool Bridge.
Cecil Street (Upper), (part 2) and Cecil Street Lower (part 2)are named after the Right Rev. William Cecil Pery, Bishop of Limerick. He was a brother of Edmund Sexton Pery. The tale of 22 Upper Cecil Street has been told on this page. Photograph of Cecil Street (Upper): and Cecil Street Lower
Chapel Lane/Street: (Chapel Lane), because it connected William Street to St. Michael’s Church. Some confusion exists concerning the change of name from Chapel Lane to Chapel Street. The 1872 and 1900 Ordnance Survey Sheets describe it as Chapel Lane and the 1938 Ordnance Survey Sheet describes it as Chapel Street. The 1872 Ordnance Survey Sheet describes the present Cathedral Place as Chapel Street. Griffith’s valuation of 1850 also lists a Chapel Lane located in the Abbey, but this could refer to the present St. Mary’s Place.
Charles Street: (now St. Gerard Street), probably named after Charles Dodgson Hoare, who early in the nineteenth century owned a large amount of adjacent property.
Charlotte’s Quay (part 2) (formerly Russell’s Quay), is probably named after Queen Sophia Charlotte, wife of King George III (see George’s Quay). It is also possible that it is named after her granddaughter, Princess Charlotte of Wales, who died suddenly in 1817, and the then City Council sent a message of sympathy to her husband Prince Leopold of Saxecoburgh, who later became King of the Belgians. Photograph of Charlotte’s Quay
Cherry Place: (also known as Crosbie Row) takes its name from the actor, playwright and song writer Andrew Cherry, who wrote the song The Dear Little Shamrock. Cherry was born in Quay Lane (now Bridge Street) in 1762 and died in Monmonth, Wales in 1812.
Circular Road: Now known as North Circular Road.
Childers Road: was officially opened in 1978 and was named after Erskine Childers (1905-1974), the fourth President of Ireland, who died in office.
Church Street: near John’s Square named because of its proximity to St. John’s Church.
Church Street: Located near St. Munchins Church.
Clampett’s Bow: Located off John Street and named after Isaac Clampett, who was the mayor of Limerick in 1739. It was later known as Mitchell Street.
Clancy Lane: located in the Abbey Area, probably named after a family living in the lane.
Clancy Lane: located in the John’s Gate Area.
Clancy’s Strand: named after George Clancy who was Mayor of Limerick in 1921, and who died in office when he was shot by British Auxiliaries on the 7th March, 1921 during the War of Independence. Photograph of Clancy’s Strand
Clanmaurice Avenue: The Marquis of Lansdowne Estate Map for this area indicates that the land on which this avenue is constructed was originally known as Clanmaurice field and this name was obviously retained.
Clare Street: was constructed on the lands of Móin na Muice (plain of the pigs), by JAMES O’SULLIVAN of Irishtown Limerick who was a tobacconist and snuff manufacturer, and he named it after the infamous John Fitzgibbon, 1st Earl of Clare, and Lord Chancellor of Ireland. Photograph of Clare Street
Claughaun: From the Irish name ‘Clochan’ is said to mean ‘the place of the stepping stones,’ which referred to a small stream that flowed across the modern day Dublin Road at Clare Street.
Clarke Avenue: named after Thomas Clarke (1857-1916), one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation and who was executed in Kilmainham Jail. He was made a Freeman of Limerick in 1889. His Limerick born wife Kathleen was the first woman to become Lord Mayor of Dublin, and she was also made a Freeman of Limerick in 1918.
Cliona Park: Cliona was the Queen of the Munster Fairies and is mentioned in Brian Merriman‘s work “Cuirt an Mhedin Olche”.
Clontarf Place: (formerly Wellesley Place) is probably named after the famous Battle of Clontarf.
Clune’s Lane: Located by parallel with Clancy’s Strand, off Mass Lane.
Clyde Road: (now St. Alphonsus Street) an early leaseholder and occupier of a major portion of this street was the Clyde Shipping Company.
Cogan Street: named after Edward Cogan, a sugar importer and one of the original property owners in the area.
Colbert Avenue: (Park) named after Con Colbert (1888-1916) a Commander in the 1916 Rising, who was executed in Kilmainham Jail. He was a native of Athea, Co. Limerick.
Colivet Drive, named after Michael P. Colivet (1884 – 1955) who was a Colonel in the Limerick City Regiment of the Irish Volunteers.He was an Alderman with Limerick Corporation for many years, a member of Dail Eireann from 1918 to 1923, and was Minister for Finance in the Republican Government.
College Avenue: (Moyross), so named because of its proximity to the nearby Regional Technical College, now known as Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT).
Collins Avenue: so named after Michael Collins (1890-1922) Chairman of the Provisional Government formed to implement the Anglo Irish Treaty of 1921. After the outbreak of Civil War in 1922, he became Commander-in-Chief of the Government forces. He was killed in an ambush at Beal na Blath, County Cork.
Colooney Street: (now Wolfe Tone Street) was named after a military engagement near Collooney, Co. Sligo which occurred on 5 September during the Irish Rebellion of 1798 when a combined force of French troops and Irish rebels defeated a force of British troops. The Limerick militia fought under the command of Colonel Charles Vereker who was later awarded a peerage for his role in the battle. Battle of Colooney.
Condell Road: named after Frances Condell, who was Mayor of Limerick in 1962 and 1963.
Connolly Range: Located in the Crescent Area of the City
Connolly Avenue: named after James Connolly (1868-1916), one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation and who was executed in Kilmainham Jail
Convent Street: Named due to it’s locating next to a convent between the Parade and Barrack Street.
Conway’s Bow: Probably named after a family of the same name.
Coolraine: Located on the Northside of the City, near the Ennis Road.
Corbally: Bally/Balli is the Anglicised version of the Irish Baile meaning townsland, located on the boarder with Co. Clare.
Corkanree & Courtbrack:: Located off the Dock Road, these areas were leased for 999 years in 1851
Cornwallis Street: (now Gerald Griffin Street) was named after Charles Lord Cornwallis, who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1798. During the American War of Independence, Cornwallis’ surrender to George Washington at Yorktown in 1781 virtually ended that war, with victory for the Americans.
Cosgrave Park: named after William T. Cosgrave (1880-1965) the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State. It was officially opened in 1977 by his son, the then Taoiseach, Liam T. Cosgrave.
Courthouse Lane: off Bridge Street was named because of its proximity to the City Courthouse, which was first built there in 1640. The present building was erected in 1763 and in 1840 was the setting of the trial when John Scanlan was convicted for the murder of Ellen Hanley, who was later immortalised as the Colleen Bawn by Gerald Griffin.
Craeval Park: receives its name from the little road just north of the site, Craeval Bohereen, which is derived from the Irish word craobh, meaning a branch.
Creagh Avenue: named after Fr. John Creagh C.S.S.R.
Creagh Lane: which led to Creagh Gate, was named after a prominent Limerick family who, it is reputed, helped to drive the Danes out of Limerick. For centuries, they were leaders in the development and administration of the City, the office of Mayor having been filled thirty one times by a “Creagh”.
Cregan Avenue: named after journalist Con Cregan who was First Secretary of the Volunteers in Limerick in 1913. He was editor of the Limerick Leader for many years.
Crescent Avenue: named due to its proximity to the adjacent Crescent.
Cromwell’s Road – Now known as Rhebogue Road
Crosbie Row: (aka Cherry Place), was named after the distinguished Limerick Clergyman, Dean Crosbie. It has been noted as Cresby Row on some maps.
Cross Road: (Thomondgate), probably because it joined High Road with the New Road.
Cruise’s Street: named after Cruise’s Hotel, on whose site part of the street is located. Cruise’s Hotel was established in 1791 and remained for 200 years. Photograph of Cruise’s Street
Cunningham Lane: Located in the Catherine Street area.
Curragour Avenue: named after the falls in the river Shannon.