Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a photograph of the street has been added, as well as a link to the street on the 1911 census.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
Dalgaish Park: named after the Dalcasian clan who originated in County Clare.
Daly Avenue: named after Edward Daly (1881-1916) who was born in Fredrick Street (now O’Curry Street). He commanded the Four Courts Garrison during the 1916 uprising and was executed in Kilmainham Jail.
Danagher Crescent: named after John Danagher, who was Mayor of Limerick in 1964.
Davis Street: (formerly Queen Street), named after Thomas Davis (1818-1845), an Irish Poet and Patriot and one of the founders of the Young Ireland Movement.
Davitt Street: named after Michael Davitt (1846-1906), a Fenian and founder of the Irish National Land League. He was made a Freeman of Limerick in 1884.
Denmark Street Lower,(part 2), Denmark Street Upper (part 2): The origin of this street name is not documented, but Maurice Lenihan in his History of Limerick states that the street was named in 1770. Another suggestion is that a Dane owned the corner house known as Denmark House, and thus the street became locally known as Denmark Street, and this was later adopted as the official name of the street. Dr. Matthew Potter gives the theory that Denmark Street was named after the sister of George III who became the Queen of Denmark. Photograph of Denmark Street
DeValera Park: which was officially opened in 1977, is named after Eamon DeValera (1882-1975) former Taoiseach and President of Ireland, who was born in New York City, but was reared in Bruree, Co. Limerick. He was made a Freeman of Limerick in 1918.
DeVere Court: named after Sir Aubrey DeVere (1788-1846), a poet, who lived at Curragh Chase, Adare, County Limerick.
Dillon’s Lane: Located in the Gerald Griffin Street area.
Dixon’s Lane: (now part of Hyde Road), named after the businessman, Sam Dixon, who was also Sheriff of Limerick in 1844.
Dock Road: named due to its proximity to the Limerick Docks.
Dolly Hayes Lane: In Johnsgate area.
Dougherty Lane: off Cashel’s Land Thomondgate, probably named after Thomas Dougherty who owned the first house in this lane.
Donovan’s Lane/Row: Johnsgate Area.
Donnelly’s Lane: Located in the Catherine Street area.
Downey Street: named after Michael Downey who was killed at the Fairgreen by Crown forces after attending the funeral of Henry Clancy who had also been shot by Crown forces.
Downes Lane: located in the Crescent area of the city.
Dublin Road: The main road from Clare Street to Dublin, this road has shifted a few times over the centuries as newer roads were built to Dublin. Photograph of Dublin Road