Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a photograph of the street has been added as well as a link to the street on the 1911 census.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
Keane Street: named after Limerick born Lieutenant Thomas Keane, an Irish Republican who was executed by firing squad on Tuesday 07 June 1921.
Keating Street: named after the artist, Sean Keating (1889-1977) who was made a Freeman of the City in 1948. He was President of the R.H.A. from 1949 to 1962.
Keeffe’s Lane: or O’Keeffe’s Lane, it was home to the Wharton family in 1923.
Kennedy Park: named after the American President, John F. Kennedy, who in early 1963 had visited Limerick when he was made a Freeman of Limerick.
Kenyon Avenue: named after Father John Kenyon, a Young Ireland Leader, who was born in No. 5 Old Thomondgate.
Kerry Bow: Located in St. John’s Parish.
Kerwick’s Bow: Located in the St. John’s Parish.
Keyes’ Row: (aka Keays Row), named after Robert Keays a property owner in the area.
Kickham Avenue: named after the Fenian novelist, Charles Kickham (1828-1882), who wrote the novel Knocknagow and the song Slievenamon.
Killalee: this area houses one of the oldest graveyards in the city.
Killeely: Located in the Thomondgate area of the city.
Little Kilrush : Located near the old Kilrush Church
Kincora Park: named after King Brian Boru’s Palace of the same name, which was located north of Killaloe.
King’s Island: Section of Englishtown near the castle.
Knockalisheen Road: named after a nearby townland in County Clare.