Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a photograph of the street has been added as well as a link to the street on the 1911 census.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
McDermott Avenue: named after Sean McDermott (1884-1916), one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation and who was executed in Kilmainham Jail.
McDonagh Avenue: named after Thomas McDonagh (1878-1916), one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation and who was executed in Kilmainham Jail.
McNamara’s Terrace: (aka Mc Namara’s Place) was named after Joseph Patrick McNamara, the original property owner and builder of the houses in the terrace.
Madden’s Lane: Located in the Dock Ward area.
Mallow Street and Lower Mallow Street (part 2): are named after the Rev. William Cecil Pery (1721 – 1794), who having been consecrated Bishop of Killala in 1781, and Bishop of Limerick in 1784, was created Baron Glentworth of Mallow in 1790.Photograph of Mallow Street and Lower Mallow Street
Margaret Place: This was a small cul-de-sac off Assembly Mall (Charlotte’s Quay).
Marian Avenue, Marian Place and Marian Drive: are named after the Marian Year of 1954.
Markievicz Drive: is named after Countess Constance Markievicz (1868-1927), a revolutionary who was sentenced to death after the 1916 Rising, but whose sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. Released in 1917, she became, in 1918, the first woman to be elected to the British Parliament. She was Minister of Labour of the First Dail Eireann.
Market Alley: because of its location adjacent to the former New Town Meat Market.
Mathew Bridge: This bridge which was opened in June 1846, is named in honour of the Rev. Theobald Mathew (1790-1856) the Apostle of Temperance.
Mayorstone: named after a stone which in 1638 the name of the Mayor, James Fitz-James Whyte was inscribed to mark out the boundary of the city.
Meade’s Quay: (now part of Steamboat Quay) was named after Christopher Meade, the proprietor of a ferry established in 1811, connecting Newtown Pery to the North Strand (now O’Callaghan Strand) prior to the construction of Sarsfield Bridge.
Meagher Avenue: named after Thomas Francis Meagher (1822-1867) who took part in the rebellion of 1848.
Meat Market Lane: probably from its proximity to an old meat market, located in the St. Francis Abbey area.
Merchants Quay: It was in this area that the merchants of the Old Town congregated to await the arrival of the ships before the construction of Arthur’s and Honan’s Quays. The Old Custom House was located in this area before it burnt down in 1747. Photograph of Merchants Quay
Merriman Place: named after Brian Merriman (1740-1805) the East Clare Poet, who wrote the work “Cuirt an Mhean Oidhche”. He died in Old Clare Street, having lived there for a number of years.
Military Road: This was the former name of O’Connell Avenue, from the Crescent to the present Model School, and probably got its name because it linked Newtown Pery to the new Military Barracks (now Sarsfield Barracks).
Mill Lane: takes its name from the adjacent Newtownpery corn mill, located where Estuary House and St. Munchin’s House now stand. Photograph of Mill Lane
Mill Road: located in Corbally, so named because it led from the main road to Corbally Mill, which was located near the River Shannon at the end of this road.
Mitchell Street: named after the John Mitchell a Young Ireland Leader, who took part in the rebellion of 1848.
Moylish: This is where LIT is housed today.
Mount Kennett: was named after an area which was not adjacent to it, but which, according to an old Pery estate map, was located between Windmill Street and O’Curry Street.
Mount Pleasant Avenue: Located off O’Connell Avenue.
Mount Vincent’s Cottages: Located off O’Connell Avenue.
Mulgrave Street (part 2): named after Constantine Phipps, Earl of Mulgrave who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1835 to 1839, and who visited Limerick in 1835 to open the new Wellesley Bridge (now Sarsfield Bridge).
Mungret Street: so named because it led to Mungret Gate, which connected the old city, via the Pilgrims Road, to Mungret, where tliere was a Monastery. This Monastery was at one time a famous centre of learning, and it is said that St. Nessan, having been ordained by St. Patrick, founded this Monastery. Photograph of Mungret Street
Murnane’s Lane, Murnane’s Row: named after Rev. Michael Murnane who originally owned these houses.
Myles’ Lane, Myles Street: named after James Myles, a property owner in the area.