Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a photograph of the street has been added including a link to the 1911 census for each street.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
Palmerstown: Located in the John Street area
The Parade: was a military parade ground between King John’s Castle and Nicholas Street.
Parnell Street: (formerly Nelson Street) is named after Charles Stewart Parnell (1846-1891) who has been described as one of the greatest leaders Ireland ever had. He was the first President of the National Land League and as a member of Parliament made the British people conscious of Ireland’s claim to self government. He was made a Freeman of Limerick in 1880.
Pearse Avenue: named after Patrick Pearse (1879-1916), one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation and who was executed in Kilmainham Jail.
Peggy Tuohy’s Boreen: in Rebough, named after the lady who lived at the end of the road.
Pennywell: takes its name from the famous well located in the Parish of St. Patrick. This well was located at the south western corner of what is now the Musgrave premises on Park Road.
Pery Street Terrace, Pery Square: named after Edmund Sexton Pery, who was born in Limerick in 1719 and died in London in 1806.He became a member of Parliament for Limerick in 1761 and was Speaker in the Irish House of Commons from 1771 to 1785. He was raised to the Peerage in 1785 with the title of Lord Pery. He owned a large amount of property in South Priors Land, and encouraged citizens and others to take leases of his lands for development purposes and thus the new city called Newtown Pery evolved. Photograph of Pery Square
Phayer’s Lane: named after William Phayer, a coach builder who owned all the houses in this lane.
Post Office Lane: named because of its proximity to the General Post Office, located off Lower Glentworth Street.
Pigotts Lane: Located in the Hartstonge Street, Catherine Street area.
Pike’s Bow: named after James Martin Pike, a prosperous corn merchant, who had his store and residence inside this Bow. Located in Upper William Street.
Pike’s Row: Located off Playhouse Lane.
Pineview Gardens: receives its name from the fine view of the wooded Clare Hills which form a notable feature of the landscape to the north of the site.
Potato Market: Built in 1843 as the name suggests a potato market, though not a very successful one.
Pump Lane: (now Bishop Street) was so named because of the water pump on a plot of ground adjacent to the lane. This pump supplied water to part of the English Town and was located where the front garden of No. 3, St. Peter Street now exists.
Pump Lane: Located in the Cecil Street Area.