The following are a selection of goods and services advertised in Limerick newspapers in 1830.
Advert for the Mind
There were a number of options to cater for those who wished to expand their minds in 1830. Mrs Morris and her two daughters of Newenham Street were providing lessons for young ladies. While the Watsons of 4 George’s Street (O’Connell Street) were offering lessons in drawing for one guinea per pupil.
An advertisement was placed in the Limerick Chronicle for a tutor to teach four boys near the city ‘none need apply but one whose qualifications and character will bear the strictest scrutiny – he must be a Protestant’.
Adverts for the Home
In 1830, you could buy coffee at one penny per ounce at J Robinson’s stores in Bank Place. His teas arrived in the city in leaden canisters direct from the East India Tea Company in London. While a new store offering silks, hosiery and haberdashery opened at 2 William Street.
Jonas Morris was selling a variety of wines, dried fruits, sugars and chocolate at his store 6 Rutland Street. (His business would change name to Jonas Morris & Son before 1846 and by 1856 the company had relocated to 43 George’s Street). Stephenson’s coach factory in Thomas Street was selling a second-hand harness for 32 guineas (this factory was owned by Standish Stephenson lived on Cecil Street and died at ‘an advanced age’ in 1854).
To keep a house warm coal could be purchased at R & J Gunson on Robert Street. They also soap, palm oil, amber resin and cod from Newfoundland. (James Gunson died only three years later ‘at the prime of his life, after a very short illness’ at his home on Patrick Street. While Robert Gunson only survived him by four years passing away at his home on Robert Street in 1837. He was regarded as a ‘gentleman of the kindliest feelings in the various relations of social and domestic life’.)