The following are a selection of advertisements from the Limerick Chronicle during September 1820.
Joshua Mark insists that buying local is best
HAS FOR SALE AT HIS WARE ROOM, NEW LINEN-HALL, STRONG HOME MADE LINENS, AND SHEETINGS.
BLEACHED AND FINISHED, EQUAL TO ANY FROM THE NORTH,
Which he will dispose of in Reasonable Terms.
Limerick, 9th Mo. 9, 1820.Limerick Chronicle, September 9, 1820
The Linen Hall was located near to the Milk Market. It was established in an attempted by local business men to create a flax and linen industry in Limerick. The Cleeve’s Condensed Milk Factory was originally built by John Norris Russell as a Flax Mill.
House for sale, everything must go… even the wine!
AUCTION OF INTEREST
In House, Household Furniture, Wines, Books &c. &c.
AT THE HOUSE OF JOHN KENNEDY, ESQ. BANK PLACE.
BY ORDER OF THE TRUSTEES OF MAUNSELL, KENNEDY, AND MAUNSELL.
ON MONDAY THE 18TH INST. THE SALE BY AUCTION
WILL COMMENCE AT TWELVE O’CLOCK.
The Furniture Comprises Drawing-room, Parlour, Bed-room, and Kitchen requisites of every description, modern and high preservation the Wines consist of Claret, Madeira, Port, and Sherry.
The House which was built by Mr Norris, for his own Residence, is finished in the best style, and is now in complete Order, was newly papered and painted and held by a Lease of the Lives renewable for ever at the Yearly Rent of £100, For which a FINE of £77 10s was paid, and upwards of £400 land out by Mr Kennedy – the Interest in it will be offered on the first day of Sale – the Furniture can be seen and Catalogues had on application at the House from 2 to 5 O’Clock on Saturday, preceding the Sale.
The Engagements of Maunsell Kennedy, and Maunsell, will be taken in payment of the Furniture, at 15 Shillings in the Fund.Limerick Chronicle, September 9, 1820
Get off my land! Shouts Wyndham Quin
MR WYNDHAM QUIN requests Gentlemen not to Sport at Adare during his absence, not upon those parts of his Estate which are preserved.
→ Poachers will be immediately prosecuted.
Adare, Sept. 8.Limerick Chronicle, September 9, 1820
Wyndham Henry Quin was the 2nd Earl of Dunraven. His seat was in Adare Manor. He was styled Lord Adare from 1816 to 1822 and Viscount Adare thereafter until he succeeded to the Earldom on the death of his father in 1824. He took the additional surname of Wyndham, becoming Windham Wyndham-Quin, on 7 Apr. 1815.
Rent a house buy knowing the previous tenants?
TO BE LET
FROM THE 29TH INSTANT,
The Dwelling House now occupied by Charles FitzGerald Esq., with every convenience, and on which Premises he made a large Expenditure.
Also the HOUSE nearly contiguous, formerly held by Mrs. O’Grady.
Likewise the Dwelling of Mrs. Bennett, adjoining Mrs Canny’s.
The Properties have recently determined to make an abatement in the Annual Rent. The ait and situation of all the Concerns are very desirable.
Application to Robery Maunsell, Esq., Bank-place, or D.F.G. Mahoy, Esq., 109, George’s-street. Limerick, September 9.Limerick Chronicle, September 9, 1820
Although many of the houses on the main streets of Limerick had numbers by 1820 it was common practice to refer to houses by previous owners or neighbours.
McNamara’s in Denmark Street sell strange goods
Russian Tallow, &c.
J. & J. McNamara,
Have for sale, at their stores in Denmark Street.
16 Hnds of First quality Peterburgh Yellow Candle Tallow.
10,000 Quebec, Pipe, Puncheon and Hnd Staves.
10,000 Ditto Trerce and Barret Staves and Heading
140 Tons of St Ubes Salt, A Parcel of Norway Trebele Deals, Russian Mats Prime Mace, &c.
Limerick Sept. 16.Limerick Chronicle, September 16, 1820.
Limerick was a port city, with goods arriving from all over the world.
While the Dean’s away the Vicar will…
DIOCESE OF LIMERICK
In the absence of the Dean, I take this opportunity of requesting the attendance of the Clergy of the Diocese of Limerick at the Cathedral on Thursday the 21st inst., at 12 O’Clock, to take into consideration the propriety of addressing the Lord Bishop of Limerick previous to his removal to the See of Cloyne.
Sept 16, 1820. W.D. Hoare, Vicar-Gen.Limerick Chronicle, September 16, 1820.
The Bishop of Limerick at the time was Charles Mongan Warburton. He was transfered to Cloyne on September 18, 1820 when Thomas Elrington took over the role as the Church of Ireland Bishop of Limerick. A role he only held for two years before the famous John Jebb, who is honoured by a statue in St Mary’s Cathedral took over the role,