St. Patrick’s Graveyard is situated on the top of St. Patrick’s Road next to St. Bridget’s Church. The Roman Catholic church which stood on this site was in ruins by the 17th century, the Down Survey Map of 1683 shows a round tower in this site though this was demolished by the beginning of the 19th century. The graveyard was officially closed in the early 20th century it was continued to be in use by people who had family plots until recently.
Below are transcriptions and photographs of some of the remaining headstones. As well as names of those recorded in local newspapers (Limerick Leader and Limerick Chronicle) and in the Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead Vol IX for the years 1913-1916 (JAPMD) as buried in St Patrick’s graveyard.
Where possible the obituaries from the Limerick City Library Local Studies Obituaries Collection and the Irish Census returns 1901 and 1911 have been added to the information of the above mentioned as buried in St. Patrick’s Graveyard.
View from St. Patrick’s Graveyard, St. Patrick’s Road of Garryowen and St. John’s Cathedral.
Reidy – “Reidy” – Photograph
- Family name only, marked with white pebbles in concrete.
Reidy – Ada Reidy nee Shine, died at the City Hospital on 22 June 1956, late of 98 Oliver Plunket Street. Funeral St Mary’s Church. (Limerick Leader, 23 Jun 1956)
- Her mother was Mrs M. A. Shine and maternal grandfather James Kett member of the first Labour Corporation. Possibly buried at the above Reidy gravemarker
Richardson – “Sacred to the memory of Mr Francis Richardson who dept this life 21 June 1847 Aged 24 years. This stone was erected by his late employer Mess Shaw & Duffield Merchants of this city. As a memorial of their regard due to him for faithful & correct discharge of his duties for the previous 7 years as their clerk. May his soul rest in peace Amen” – Photograph
Ronnen – “Erected by John Ronnen in Memory of his Father John Ronnen who Depd This Life March 7th 1771 aged 55 Also in Memory of his Five Children”. – (JAPMD)
Ryan – “Here lies the body of the Revd. Timothy Ryan, as also the bodies of Barnaby Ryan, and …” – (This headstone was uncovered in 1941 but not located in 2013) (Limerick Leader, 1 Nov 1941)
Ryan – “Erected by Mary Ryan in Memory of her Father died June 8th 1791.” – (JAPMD)
Sarsfield – “In loving memory of Johanna Gould who died June 3 1872 also her daughter Mrs E Sarsfield who died Oct 1..7 & Mary Davis died 26 May 1915 R.I.P.” – Photograph
Scholes – “This stone was erected by Mary Scholes in memory of her beloved husband George Scholes who departed this life June 19th 1824 aged 53 years. May the Lord have mercy on his soul”- Photograph
- George Scholes lived on Baals Bridge and according to the Pigotts trade directory 1824, he worked as a Hat Maker and Dealer.
Sexton – “This tomb was erected by John Sexton in memory of his father who departed Aprl the 24th 1770 aged 60 and his mother April the 10th 1771 aged 61 years. Thou who on me treads shall all so throden be kneel while pray to God that John Sexton with the heavenly .. who departed life at the … 1782 ” – Photograph
Shiddy – “This stone was Erected by Philip William Russell in recollection of the good Services of his Servant Kitty Shiddy : she was a young woman of unexceptionable good Character. She is deeply Lamented by her friends & those who were acquainted with her Perfections: She Died the 16th day March 1807 in the 18th Year of her Age. May she rest in peace Amen.” – (JAPMD)
- Alternative name Sheedy
Shine – “Erected by Thomas Shine to the memory of his father and mother brothers and sisters U.S.A. Above Thomas Shine died 20 June 1959 May their souls rest in peace” – Photograph
Shine – James Shine of Broad Street, died on 25 Aug 1936 in Barrington’s Hospital. Funeral at St John’s Cathedral (Limerick Leader, 26 Aug 1936)
Sims – “.. beloved mother Hanora Sims die 2 March 1881 aged 35 years” – Photograph
- Also on this headstone Michael Daly
Smyth – “In loving memory of Richard Smyth, who died 12 Nov. 1911 aged 68 years and his wife Mary Smith who died 28. Feb. 1911 aged 64 years. On whose soul sweet Jesus have mercy Erected by their son John of Boston Mass U.S.A. ” – Photograph
Sweeny – “..Thomas Sweeny …May 1856…” – Photograph
- Thomas Sweeny worked as a Cooper and lived on Old Clare Street.
Thompson – “In loving memory of Joseph Thompson died 4 Oct 1926” – Photograph
- Joseph Thompson was a local politician who lived on Mungret Street. After his death, there were notices of condolences posted in the Limerick Chronicle.
Tierney – “In memory of Michael Tierney died Novr 5th 1876 age 34 years and Patrick Tierney died July 12th 1889 aged 18 years” – Photograph
Tracy – “Erected by John and Edward Tracy in memory of James son of Edward who died August the 14th 1850 aged 3 yrs also the above John who died January the 28th 1851 aged 41 years. Also Mary wife of Edward died 12th March 1865 aged 52 years. The above Edward died 27 February 1878 aged .. years. Also Edward… 1879..” – Photograph
Treacy – Charles Treacy died in Barrington’s Hospital on 12 Mar 1948 lived at 52 Catherine Street. Funeral St Michael’s Church. (Limerick Leader, 13 Mar 1948)
Tuohy – Bishop Charles Tuohy successor to Bishop John Young. (Limerick Leader, 8 Dec 1958)
Walsh – “In loving memory of Bridget the beloved wife of James Walsh who departed this life 29th June 1903 aged 60 yrs. R.I.P. ” – Photograph
Walsh – “This stone was erected by Mary Walsh in memory of her beloved husband Edward Walsh who dept this life Agust the 14th 1836 aged 45 years. May he rest in Peace Amen. ” – Photograph
Weeks – “…Johanna Weeks” – Photograph
Young – Bishop John Young, died 22 September 1813 aged 68. “His remains rest in a plain vault”. (Limerick Leader, 19 June 1948)
Unreadable dated 1730: – Photograph