Listed below are the most likely reasons behind each street name in the city, though some of the street names have changed through time and some of the original reasoning for certain names have been lost entirely. Many of these street names did not appear in Gerry Joyce’s ‘Limerick City Street Names‘.
Where possible a photograph of the street has been added, as well as a link to the street on the 1911 census.
Streets beginning with:
A : B : C : D : E : F : G : H : I : J : K : L : M : N : O : P : Q : R : S : T : U : V : W : X : Y : Z :
Galvone: Located near South hill
Gambell’s Yard: Named after a family of the same name who had a business in the area.
Gaol Lane Bow: (formerly Town Hall Lane) was named because of its proximity to the Tholsel, which was first the Town Hall and later was converted to a gaol.
Gaol Borreen: Named due to its proximity to an old gaol.
Garryglass: Located off the Golflinks Road, Castletroy.
Garryowen (part 2) (part 3), Garryowen Villas: Comes from John’s Garden, as it is located in St. John’s Parish and was once the main supplier of fresh food to Limerick city.
Garvey’s Range, Garvey’s Long Range : In the Garryowen area
George’s Quay: (aka Barrington’s Mall), In 1760 the old town wall which ran from Quay Lane to Baal’s Bridge was torn down making way for George’s Quay. It is named after King George III. According to folklore, the Abbey River separated husband and wife – King George III and Queen Charlotte, giving the names George’s Quay and Charlotte’s Quay. Photograph of George’s Quay.
George Street, (Part 2), (part 3), (part 4) (part 5) (part 6): (now O’Connell Street) was possibly named after King George III. Another possibly is that it was named after St. George’s Church which once stood on the street before being replaced by St. Michael’s Church.
Gerald Griffin Street (formerly Cornwallis Street), Gerald Griffin Street Lower (part 2), Griffins Row: named after Gerald Griffin (1803-1840) dramatist, novelist, and poet, who was born in Bow Lane. He entered the Christian Brothers at the height of his fame in 1838. Photograph of Gerald Griffin Street and Lower Gerald Griffin Street
Geraldine Villas: Located off Mulgrave Street.
Glasgow Park: named after Frank Glasgow who was elected Mayor of Limerick in December 1961.
Glenagross Park: gets its name Gleann na gCros, Glen of the Crosses, which is just north of the site.
Glentworth Street Lower and Glentworth Street Upper, (part 2) (part 3), Little Glentworth Street : were named after Reverend William Cecil Pery, Bishop of Limerick, who was created Baron Glentworth of Mallow in 1790. Photograph of Glentworth Street: and Glentworth Street Lower
Gloster Lane: Located in St. Munchins Parish
Glover’s Lane: This was located in the old Carey’s Road area.
Glover’s Lane: Located off John’s Street, possibly named after William Glover who owned four houses in the lane in the 1850s.
Glue Yard Lane: named from its proximity to an old glue yard, which was located on or near the site of the Old Meat Market, in the St. Francis Abbey area.
Goggins Lane: Located in St. Munchin’s Parish, parallel to Clancy’s Strand off Mass Lane.
Golf Links Road: named due to its proximity to the Golf Course in Castletroy.
Gorman’s Lane: In the Glentworth Street area.
Grattan Street: named after Henry Grattan (1746-1820), during whose term in office, the British Parliament agreed not to pass laws that were binding in Ireland. As a result, the Irish Parliament, which sat between 1782 and 1800 was known as Grattan’s Parliament.
Griffith Avenue: named after Arthur Griffith (1871-1922) President of Dáil Éireann from 10th January 1922 until his death on the 12 August 1922.
Gross Road: Located in St. Munchin’s Parish