The Sylvester O’Halloran foot bridge built in 1987 by the Civic Trust is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Sylvester O’Halloran who was born in Caherdavin in 1728.
As a surgeon he developed a new method of treating cataracts. In 1774 he wrote A General History of Ireland and in 1803 A History of Ireland. He lived in a house on Merchant’s Quay which is located next to the Potato Market. He died in 1807 and is buried in Kileely Graveyard.
The footbridge crosses the Abbey River from the Potato Market to behind the Hunt Museum (formally the Custom House).